The Book Club Unit

I really liked the book club unit. Being able to talk about a book in smaller groups was preferable to a larger discussion because each person could voice their opinions more often.

The entire book club experience was great. The only part of the unit that I did not like very much was having to be recorded during each discussion. I understand this must be done in order to ensure each group stays on task and has a meaningful discussion, but I feel it put more pressure on us during the meetings and we never reached a truly relaxed discussion. I would almost prefer to write notes during the meeting instead of being recorded, but I think some students would disagree with this strategy. In the end, I don't think there is any perfect replacement for the recordings, so using them next year would work well.

Overall, I think this unit was great. The book club unit helped me better engage with The Things They Carried and gave me an opportunity to discuss my own ideas about the book with a great group of people.

Comments

Popular Posts