What Do They Look Like?


What might the characters of The Things They Carried look like? It seems as if many of the characters from the book are based on real people, but after some research I found no reliable photos of any of the characters except for O'Brien himself; so I am going to provide some actors that I think best represent a few of the characters


Tim O'Brien:


Image result for tim o'brien vietnam

This is an actual photo of a young O'Brien

John Malkovich as Henry Dobbins:


Image result for lennie huge man



I think Dobbins would be a slightly chubbier version of Lennie from Of Mice and Men (This is a photo of John Malkovich playing Lennie in the movie version of Of Mice and Men)

Jay Baruchel as Jimmy Cross:

Image result for jay baruchel shes out of my leaguew"

Jimmy Cross is a heart broken kid and I think this picture of Jay Baruchel matches what he would look like in Vietnam. Jimmy is the leader of the group and is a bit older, but he is still a kid trying to figure out his life.

Macaulay Culkin as Curt Lemon:


Image result for macaulay culkin


Curt Lemon was described as a young blonde kid, very similar to this photo of Macaulay Culkin.

Steve Buscemi as Rat Kiley:

Image result for steve buscemi young

I see Rat as the stereotypical guy that tells everyone ridiculous stories and that type of person is best represented by Steve Buscemi. I also see Rat as a skinny guy which is also a characteristic of Steve Buscemi.


Let me know if you think these actors are good or bad representations of the characters.

Comments

  1. I can really picture all of these characters in my head now, and I like all the similarities you brought from the characters into famous actors. I specifically like Steve Buscemi as Rat Kiley. The way you described Rat Kelly fits in to Buscemi's characteristics, and personality perfectly. Great job Mac for finding pictures to bring the characters out in the real world.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts